Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Orphanage and Walmart visit today

We went to visit Faith's orphanage today.

First we started off shopping at Walmart, to buy some essentials and some toys for the orphanage. Walmart in China is not really like Walmart at home! We got a stroller for back in Beijing and all of our outings, got some jar food (which Faith so far does not like). We got lots of blocks and toys and lego for the orphanage....

Oh and how can we forget the boots we got her for back in Beijing and the colder weather, because the boots we brought for her are 3 sizes too big! Now this girl LOVES her shoes. As soon as we tried them on, she refused to take them off. When we went through the check out, she cried when she had to take them off for them to be scanned - too funny!!!

She woke up several times crying last night, bless her soul. I swiftly picked her up and cuddled her back to sleep. That said, she spent much of 11pm-2am in bed with us. BOY oh boy, she may be little but she sure takes up lots of room in bed!!! Toss and turn and foot on my belly, foot on Jacques back, etc. What I figured out she wanted was to be ON me...so when she finally managed to climb on me in her tired stupor, all was good (well, at least for her)!!!

Today I was tired, took an afternoon nap - actually, we all did for an hour or so. As soon as Faith saw us laying down, she came up on the bed, layed between Noah and I, started sucking her thumb and fell asleep too!!!

At the orphanage today, I was brought to tears several times.

The grounds are on the top of a mountain...our guides car climbed and climbed back and forth this winding road up the mountain. The grounds are beautiful. When we arrived at the group setting of the orphanage, 2 young women came running out crying 'Tian, Tian' (her nickname)...coming over to Faith and wanting to kiss and touch her. It was very apparent that they loved her. She wanted NOTHING to do with them. She came running for Noah and hid behind his leg. My heart broke and was overjoyed all in one. These girls were crying, I was crying, Faith was clinging....

We carried on into the main building, were greated with lots of staff and the director, we continued to her room and they showed us where her bed was. She immediately went straight to her nanny when she held out her arms for her. While standing inside a room filled with 15 cribs, joined by 2 or 3 other rooms with just as many cribs, the babies were being fed in the next room....they all started to yell 'Tian, Tian'...so sweet.

These two young girls continued to follow us and we exchanged emails. They have lots of video and photos of Faith from her time in the orphanage. We spent about 1 hour, maybe a little less...it was all so overwhelming!

While there, there was another baby visiting (one that had been adopted a year earlier and was back for a visit).

It was very clear that the babies are loved and cared for very well. Noah was a bit confused, because I was crying. He was confused as to why I was crying because to him, it was great that she wanted us. I was so elated that this happened but felt so sad for those who have loved her for the past year.

As we were leaving, we also met the overall director of the whole orphanage. She was sweet with Faith and I got some photos.

We have discovered that Faith fears nothing! We went for a walk on the rooftop terrace earlier, where there are ponds with fish, lots of stairs, etc. She just goes at them FULL FORRCE with big smile on her face. Even stairs...no two stepping it...one foot after the other, even though her little legs don't necessarily reach from step to step! I can't wait until we get somewhere that she can just go wild!!!

Oh yea, we went to Toys R Us today and she spoted a ride on car in the isle for her to play on...and that she did, the ENTIRE time we were in the store. We thought it would be a fight or cry to get her out, but nope, nothing a Canadian Flag wouldn't fix!! lol

Can't wait to get her home to ride on that Plasma car we got her!!!!

1 comment:

Heather H. said...

That sounds like a lot of emotion to process for you and for Faith! It's so great that they have more photos and video for you! Precious gifts.

Sleep disturbance like you are describing is common for kids, I think. Certainly we went through it (and STILL, 2+ years later, Ping Ping checks for us sometime in the night) and I read about it frequently in blogs.

Best wishes to you for more good days!

Heather